BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, April 18, 2010

you have be thin to be in.

Recently, I have posted a couple profiles of a couple of my favorite models. I went googly eyed over their tall, slender, nearly perfect bodies. And I'm going to be completely honest: I became envious. Looking at these girls, I couldn't help but wish that I was several inches taller and had a few less inches around the waist. Ever since the 1990's, the extremely thin look for fashion has been "in" thanks to British model Kate Moss.

Skinny here. Skinny there. Everywhere you looked, there was a slim girl that was considered gorgeous. In the past, so many girls have been turned down my model agencies for being "too big" and were told to lose weight to be ever be considered again. Many models are incredibly under-weight, but some designers could care less about their health and cared more if they would even fit into the outfits in their collection. When I was little, I was only skin and bones. I was the skinniest little girl you would've seen thanks to my rapid metabolism. But as I grew older, it slowed down, therefore, making me gain a few pounds. And all girls know that the older you get, the more self-conscious you get about the way you look. So as my love for fashion grew, I started flipping through the big-girl fashion magazines such as Vogue, Elle, Nylon, etc., and the images of the tiny waisted girls wouldn't go away!

I think that girls in my generation are put under a lot of pressure from the fashion industry and media to be this super skinny, cookie-cutter, trendy kind of girl. And I think that this is the one single thing that I hate about the fashion industry. The true fact is that most high fashion models are naturally skinny. Most of them don't have or never even had an eating disorder. Many of them are just built with a tiny frame and a very small percentage of fat on their bodies. Yet girls across the world are striving for that 23" waistline.

But in reality, is this considered to be "gorgeous" or "perfect"?


Not only am I having a fit with these several accusations of eating disorders existing in the fashion industry, but the Council for Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) has also created plans to educate and bring awareness to eating disorders that exist in the fashion world. So times are changing!! Many designers, such as Nicole Miller, are requiring that models that would like to model their fashion lines have to have a certain BMI (body mass index). This encourages many models to live a healthy life style if being a model is really what they want to do. At fashion shows, designers are even requiring food to be kept backstage for the models to eat.

So, all of you that despise the fashion industry for making this false image of girls, I was right there with you. But this the great news I've chosen to tell you that all is well in the fashion world.
Now stop starving yourselves and get on the treadmill and eat healthier instead!

Here's what I have to say: I think that beauty is more than what is on the outside. Someone is truly beautiful when they are comfortable and confident in their own skin. Don't let the judgment of too many opinions lower your self-image. Love your body because it's the only one you've got for the rest of your life!

0 comments: