BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

prom madness!

It's that time of the year, ladies and gentlmen!! It's prom season!!
Boys: get your guts together and ask that girl!
Girls: don't be too picky when it comes to the boy that asks you, the dress you wear, and where you'll eat. It's a special night, so don't make it complicated!!

There are so many prominent fashion trends for prom dresses this year, and I thought it would be a lovely idea for me to point them out to you, girls! Keep these trends in mind when you step into that dress store! Another tip - don't let the employees talk you into buying a dress that you don't initially like. When you find the dress, you will know that it's "the one". Most stores just want your money, so don't fall under the pressure of the salesperson. Stand up for your fashion rights!

Here we go!
On a side note - I'll try to incorporate all colors + lengths so that everyone can find something that they're looking for!

Prom Trend #1: One-Shouldered
marc bouwer glamit!
blu vintage
a.b.s. by allen schwartz

I am such a big fan of this trend!! I was determined to get a one-shouldered dress this year, so I did!! I think that this cut is especially flattering on anyone. This trend is so glamorous that I've seen it on several celebrities on the red carpet. The open neckline is open for a pretty simple necklace and dangling earrings. When it comes to an open neckline, go with dangling earrings, girls! It makes your neck appear longer and more delicious by the way they dangle along the curves of your neck. Spectacular.

Prom Trend #2: Bright Colors
laundry by shelli segal
blu vintage luxe
marc bouwer glamit!

Whenever I think of spring, I always think of bright colors!! Bright colors can be tricky though because you have to find the right one for your skin tone as well as hair color. I think that shades of green look great on blondes, while oranges and bright pinks look better on brunettes with darker skin tones. I always here about girls going out to the tanning bed to get the "perfect" tan for their prom dress, but DON'T DO IT!! Rather than spending even more money on a few hours frying your ovaries in a tanning bed, just buy a dress that will compliment your skin and hair color! (I'm totally against tanning beds, but I'll save that for a different blog...) Orange is such a hard color to find in a classy dress, as well as to pull off!! Very few people can really pull of a bright orange, so if you look good in it, props to you!!

Prom Trend #3: Structure
jessica mcclintock
betsey johnson
a.b.s. by allen schwartz

The fashion trends for prom seem to get more and more high fashion every year!! It's impressive!! Structure is very couture and avant-garde, but the intricate designs and structures are making their way into everyday, ready-to-wear designs. Jessica McClintock makes a beautiful pleating design with this dress. I love this dress so much because it really encorporates several prom/spring fashion trends: royal blue (soooo in for spring), one-shouldered, and structure. Superb! Betsey Johnson's designs are very well-known, and although many of her designs aren't "prom-worthy", I find this one very very very prom worthy. It's both fun and classy, and not the mention it is in such a sweet color!

Prom Trend #4: Psychedelic Patterns
promgirl

bcbg max azria runway collection
promgirl (by allure)


blu vintage

I've never thought I'd see the day when pretty florals and psychadelic patterns would make it to prom night! This trend is perfect for the girl that loves to be the center of attention and dares to be different. This trend can be so classy and sophisticated if worn correctly. Top designers, such as Max Azria, are using this trend for their spring collections to create delighful designs! The biggest problem I always see with patterns is that girls tend to take away the power of the pattern with accessories! Girls, go simple on the jewelry! Simple diamond bracelet, necklace, and earrings. Please no chunky statement jewelry. It's fashion suicide.

So, you've got your dress. But what about accessories?!

Accessories
prada

anthropologie
miu miu

bcbg


urban outfitters

jardin


I love accessories. I think that they complete any outfit. I, personally, am obsessed with earrings. I have a large collection of different kinds of dangling, hoop, and stud earrings for any occassion. And I think that no girl could ever have too much jewelry. I have a challenge for all you fashionistas this prom season: stray away from the typical choices of accessories. Stray away from the typical cubic zirconia necklace and studded bracelet. Don't you dare touch that plain black clutch. Go for the prints, sparkles, embellishments, and eclectic choices. When it comes to purses, go for a clutch. It's simple, sophisticated, and doesn't make you look like the bag lady that you really are. (Oh, come on, you know you're a bag lady. All girls are.) And if you aren't willing to pay mucho cash-o for these designer clutches, you can always take a trip to Target or Claire's and get something just as splendid! There's no shame in going for a good bargain! Same goes for jewelry. This GORGEOUS necklace by jardin would just be beautiful with any dress, honestly. But it is well over my prom budget. So after you drool over this beauty, head on over to Claire's and pick out a necklace that is pretty and affordable! The only piece of jewelry that I'm not really into is a bracelet. The only adornment you'll see on my wrist is an emergency hairband. But I'm really digging this gold braided bracelet from Urban Outfitters. I might have to get it to wear to my prom...

One last detail: Hair.

Hair







All up or all down? That is the question...One thing that I can say about this year's hair trends is that braids are the thing!! There are so many kinds of braids out there, so I wouldn't worry about not having a unique hairstyle. I would also say that the tousled/wavy/curly/bedhed kind of look is also in. I have naturally straight hair, so when it comes to curls, my hair will not behave. But if you're blessed with naturally curly hair or naturally obedient hair, then go for the curls and crimps. Rock those wavy locks!

Phew!! That was a lot of information in one post! But trust me, you'll thank me when your date won't be able to take his hands off of you, you'll be nominated as best dressed, and you'll feel beautiful all night.

0 comments: